A few weeks ago, my parents, Ellie and I met up at our place at Lake Okoboji in Iowa. It was a bittersweet vacation, as Troy was missing, but we still managed to have a great time! Mom, Ellie and I tested out a few board games (deciding to stick with ones that worked better with only 3 players, right Ellie? LOL), Dad took us cruising out on the boat a few times, Ellie and I had a chance to slightly work on our tans, we all did some cooking – which always is tasting because it means grilling – and Mom, Ellie and I each took the good ole waverunners out for a spin at least once. I have to be careful when I take them out – usually try to pick early in the morning when the water is smooth because the jolting (or lack of) is much easier on my back. I went out the last morning by myself – sun was sparkling on the water, there was a nice breeze and it was a comfortable temperature. What a great time of personal relaxation and also reflection! It was very refreshing to me both physically and emotionally…definitely awa
kes all of yours senses! Besides Troy not being there, there were 2 things lacking that we are used to having: 1) Water Sports. With the exception of the waverunners, there was no tubing, wakeboarding, or skiing. 2) My mom’s family is usually there at the same time staying in various places – however this time we were all alone. However, I must say it was pretty cool when my dad agreed to go Biking with us one morning. My mom had brought my sister’s, her’s and dad’s bikes from home for the trip and we keep 2 spare bikes at the place anyways – mind you the spare bikes are my parents Grand Prix ten-speeds from the 70s – but with a new set of tires and tuned up, they are “just like new”…well…kind of. So I braved the Grand Prix and we hit a nice trail that goes around the lake – very pretty riding and a decent workout I suppose – can’t complain! :)
I had flown into Sioux Falls, SD which is actually only 1.5 hours away. The next 2 closest
airports are Omaha or Minneapolis, about 2.5 to 3 hours away. The plan on the way home, however, was to fly out of Waterloo (Tuesday). Long story, but my mom thought she was going to have to take Ellie home afterward before my mom had to head to Des Moines that evening. And although it would make more sense to fly out of Des Moines if my mom had to go there anyway, if she had to go to Waterloo first, it would’ve been a lot of driving and a mad dash to see if we could make it to Waterloo (at least hours from Okoboji) and then to Des Moines (2.5 to 3 hours from Waterloo) for me to catch a flight.
However, contrary to the original plan, Ellie drove herself to Waterloo. Her plan was to spend the next few days after our family time with her college roommate who lived near Lake Okoboji. Which NOW meant that my mom was driving me all the way to Waterloo to fly home for no reason – adding a lot of time to her trip – when she should just be driving straight to Des Moines. I gave my sister a rough time about it (love ya Ellie!) lol…but in the end, Ellie found out she had to work on Wednesday – so was forced to abort her visit with her roommate and wound up driving me back to Waterloo.
That was kind of neat – I got to spend some time with Ellie and see her new apartment because she dropped me off at the world’s smallest airport. No, I am not joking (well, not sure it is really called that, lol). But it has 2 gates – Gate 1A and Gate 1B. The whole airport is just one big room with dividers. The airline ticket counter has a bell on it that you ring if no one is there to help you. In addition, you do not immediately pass through security because employees of the airport have multiple duties. So, you wait in a little waiting room area (again, this was not a separate room – just some seats by the security line) until closer to boarding time. At that point, they then summon you to pass through security and wait in more chairs near the gate until it was time to board. I felt like I was at the doctor’s office – going through all the different steps and rooms before it is FINALLY time to see the doctor.
Upon boarding the tiny plane, I discovered it had propellers – I was terrified and of course the ride was quite noisy – but I made it home safely… missing my family already! :(
No comments:
Post a Comment