Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's Been WAY Too Long...

Okay, so for - let's see - oh about 8 months now I've been telling myself it was time to post another blog entry...and for 8 months I've been avoiding it. I guess sometimes I tell myself I just don't have anything interesting to talk about. But, hello - it isn't like I have to write a book...it is just in my nature to kinda do so.

So, it's Mother's Day weekend - I'm actually pretty proud of myself because I decided weeks ago what I wanted to get my mom. I ran across something different (www.mrsprindables.com) and thought it would be a nice change of pace from flowers and a card. Well, perhaps flowers never really get old - but either does anything with chocolate. Mrs. Prindables is known for their HUGE APPLES...and I'm not even kidding. They have a photo on their website that shows their jumbo apples and their "regular ones" true to size and the jumbo apple might really be a cantaloupe - I swear. lol. She received them in the mail yesterday and said they were nicely packaged and delicious so at least they lived up to my expectations.

Unfortunately, there is a local cupcake company (Bonafide Cupcakes) that decided to offer a deal on Groupon and it equalled disaster for them. For those of you near a larger city who have not yet discovered Groupon - you really should check it out. They offer one daily deal each day during the week for at least 50% off - anything from sporting events, spa treatments, hair cuts, groceries, restaurants, clothing stores, etc. Its fabulous. Anyway, Bonafide Cupcakes had this deal about a month ago where you paid $20 and received $40 worth of cupcakes from them. They are a delivery only company (you cannot go to their store) in the Washington DC area. I actually meant to purchase this deal and forgot - was completely heartbroken. But, they didn't put a cap on how many Groupons they could sell - and wound up selling nearly 2,500. All fine and dandy, except many people wanted them immediately. Bonafide Cupcakes' website nearly crashed - they promised deliveries that never happened - didn't answer their phones or email - and now have a ton of angry customers. What made me think of this story all together, was that at least Mrs. Prindables Chocolate Covered Apples lived up to my expectations. A comment on the Bonafide Cupcakes' website said:

"For everyone who is inquiring about the quality of cupcakes: the pictures on Bonafide Cupcakes are NOT accurate, the cupcakes tasted and looked like they were made from a box at home and the flavors were chocolate or vanilla and nothing more. It was nice to have them delivered, but I would NEVER pay $40 for these cupcakes."

The best part is the next person on their comments sections said: "Hello, I will sell you 6 cupcakes for $80. They are made from Betty Crocker mix and frosted too!! Good deal."

Anyway - as I'm sure you can imagine, I am no longer disappointed that I missed out on the Bonafide Cupcakes Groupon...

Happy Mothers Day Mom - You ARE indeed the Apple of my Eye. I'm just thankful THAT is the saying I went for instead of You are the Cupcake of my Eye or you might've been a little disappointed.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment