Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lofaro Ties the Knot

When I came to interview in-person at Maryland almost 5 years ago, Nick led the position's search committee and picked me up at the airport. I remember getting into the car after putting my suitcase in the trunk and him frantically turning the music down. I was a little confused, but found out later that apparently he had a rap music station playing and was worried I didn't listen to that kind of music. For those of you that know me - that's pretty funny.

Nick and I became friends when I moved out here, serving as 2 of the fabulous foursome (Brett and Kirsten) in the Maryland Sports Marketing Office at the time. Now, although Brett and Kirsten have moved on, Nick and I remain and he is now my boss. He is one of the reasons I love being at Maryland - he is very good at what he does and I think we work well together.

Probably about 3 years ago, he met Jacquelyn - and about 3 years ago, we stopped seeing Nick outside the office, lol. Last summer they moved in together, got engaged and also got a dog.

This past Saturday was finally the big day! I feel fortunate to have received an invitation as the wedding was VERY small and intimate (only about 30 people!). I brought Brett as my date (per Nick's request, although I think I would've brought him anyway) and knew it would be a great time. The ceremony took place on the water in Annapolis at Quiet Waters Park. There was literally no weather backup plan, which is funny considering Nick is an expert at event planning, but the couple couldn't have asked for a better day. It was 80 degrees, sunny and beautiful. Nick looked very handsome and hid his nerves well - and Jacquelyn of course looked stunning - she's so cute anyway.

After the wedding, the reception was held at Pussers on the water. I'd been there to eat before, but didn't realize they have a nice banquet room that can be all dressed up for dinner and dancing. There were a few speeches from those close to the Bride and Groom and a recorded message from the Grandparents of the Bride that couldn't make the trip - a really nice touch. Then...it was time for the dancing domination. Brett started by asking one of Nick's Grandmothers to dance...who informed him she "hadn't danced in years". He grabbed her hand and said "Well you're dancing tonight!" We had a great time - and have since discussed potentially going into the business of wedding dancers - kind of like Seat Fillers at awards shows. lol.

The reception concluded around 10pm and a few of us headed to Federal Hill in Annapolis for more dancing. Nick and Jacquelyn tried to meet us as well - but when they got to the door realized she forgot her ID. The cop outside wasn't willing to make an exception, even with her wearing her wedding dress, which was ridiculous if you ask me. So, they went back to get her ID at the hotel which was just up the street, but when they got there, exhaustion set in and they decided instead to just call it a night. I can't really blame them! After a random, unexpected long night for me Friday night, I was admittedly pretty exhausted too - but I still think I held my own - especially when the DJ put on Maryland's finest song: Zombie Nation. Our friends, Reza and Brady, met us out to add to the fun and Brett capitalized on being buddy/buddy with the bartender. This just meant that when it was time to go, it was about 5 drinks for the cost of one. Not a bad deal. Overall it was a great day: good times with friends, beautiful weather and a lovely celebration for someone special to me and 2 people very much in love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment